Website Lightfoot Solutions Group Ltd
Lightfoot - Providing Insights to the Public Health Sector
Due to rapid expansion to support various health systems around the world Lightfoot – a Microsoft Gold Partner – are looking for a graduate systems engineer to join the Infrastructure team.
Lightfoot are looking for a numerate graduate with 2 or more years experience.
The main focus will be user and endpoint support – with responsibility for leading the service desk. The succesful candidate will also be trained up in SQL server and other enterprise technologies. Once appropriately trained they will work with the Senior Engineers to support the production and development clusters accross the UK, New Zealand and Australia. An interest in database technologies – and high availability enterprise solutions is therefore essential.
The Systems Engineer will report to the Director of IT and Information Governance and join the existing infrastructure team. They will work closely with the UK and New Zealand Senior Systems Engineers.
This team manages infrastructure and software across three datacentres and two offices in the UK, New Zealand and Australia.
The role will include:
- Running the internal IT service desk – providing support to users and developers
- Assisting with the running of the client (external) service desk
Endpoint management including Windows 10, McAfee Anti-Virus and Intune
- Installation and maintenance of laptops and associated software
Support for Office 365 and Microsoft Teams
- End user desktop support
- Assisting with patching of servers and installation of software
- Administration of user rights/active directory
- Working with Senior DBAs to administer the SQL servers including backups, transferring databases and managing logins
- Promotion of systems from development to live
- Assisting with testing of new product releases
The role will be varied and over time, the Systems Engineer will take on significant responsibility for key systems.
Lightfoot are a Microsoft Gold Partner (Data Platform and Data Analytics) specialising in hosted data warehouses and software as a service. We are consultancy led serving the public health sector in the UK, New Zealand and Australia.This work includes modelling health systems and the COVID response.
Lightfoot use their own statistical process monitoring solution (signals from noise – sfn), to support client’s business transformation programmes.
Lightfoot have over 80 servers across 3 data centres and offices. These include:
- 3 SQL high availability clusters used for data warehouse hosting
- 9 Application servers hosting JBoss and Java Virtual Machines (JVMs)
- 2 Hyper-V clusters
Lightfoot use office 365 and Teams
- Good understanding of Windows and Laptops – including hardware
- A good understanding of networking concepts such as TCP/IP, DNS and DHCP
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communicator
- Highly motivated
- Interested in studying for Microsoft infrastructure exams
- SQL server user admin, database backup and restore
- Microsoft Intune/Endpoint management
- Any Microsoft specific exams, training or experience such as MCSE, MCTS etc.
- Numerate degree – science, maths or engineering
- Office 365/Teams administration
- Redhat JBoss
- Experience of data warehousing/business intelligence/SQL
- Experience of hosted solutions and software as a service
- Understanding of ISO27001, ITIL or project management
- Relevant industry experience or projects
Progression and Development
The successful candidate will work with and be mentored by the Senior Systems Engineers. They will also be working with other experienced third line engineers, DBAs and software developers.
The successful candidate will be expected to study for industry exams. Lightfoot will provide access to training materials and will pay for entry to exams. In parallel with training, the candidate will be strongly encouraged and given the opportunity to put learning into practice.
The Systems Engineer will be expected to take overall responsibility for key areas as their skills develop.
Lightfoot are ideally looking for a graduate with 2 years’ or more experience. All suitable candidates will be given proper consideration for the role.
The following personal skills are important:
- Focussed and able to work on own initiative under light direction
- Good communication skills including written and spoken English
- Smartly dressed and presentable – potentially client facing
- Outgoing personality for a client or end-user facing role
- Willing to be flexible
- Good personal organisational and prioritisation skills
- Honesty and Integrity
- Full UK driving licence
The role is based around UK office hours with occasional work outside those hours. This would generally happen a few times a year either following a critical infrastructure failure – or to put live a major project.
Out of hours patching is generally performed by technical staff in a different time zone to minimise unsociable hours.
The Systems Engineer will work with the Senior Systems Engineer to ensure leave is covered within the Team.
Location and Hours
Based in the Bracknell Head Office – currently with 2-3 days a week of remote working.
Hours are 9am to 5:30 p.m weekdays – with occasional out of hours working
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.